Sunday, January 31, 2010

Wyreside Lakes fish-in (24/01/10)

Originally we had planned to hold a friendly fish-in against our neighbours from PAC's South Lancs. Region at Tatton Park two days after Christmas. However,the ice and snow put paid to the plan and so we re-scheduled the event to take place at Wyreside Lakes a month later.

Unfortunately the Cheshire Region fielded only 3 anglers; Roy Garton and Andy and Carol Bates. I had planned to spend the day lure fishing but decided not to bother because the fishery wanted to charge me £14 for two rods when only had one in my possession. Not only did the magnificent 3 fail to catch, I spent the day feeling very cold and fed up indeed.

The South Lancs. Region fared better with 8 anglers turning up to fish and several pike caught (biggest a 16 pounder). The R.A.9/R.A.31 Challenge Cup was therefore won by the South Lancs. Region. Next year we will have to do better !

On my arrival home I wrote to the fishery manager and complained that it was unfair to charge pike anglers for a minimum of two rods as this discriminates against lure anglers (similarly the same tariff for carp anglers discriminates against anyone wishing to stalk fish with 1 rod). I received a nice reply informing me that the fishery has now restored the opportunity for pike and carp anglers to buy a single rod ticket for £7. I'm pleased some good has come of my letter.

No comments:

Post a Comment